At the time of William the Conqueror’s survey, the Manor of North Perrott consisting of 10 hides, was granted to Robert de Claire. In 1219 Ralph de Claire released to Walter de Essele his right to 7 hides in Peret and the remaining 3 hides became a separate Manor called Pupelpen or Pipplepen. Many ancient documents are dated at Pupplepenne which gave its name to a family of considerable importance. They would undoubtedly have owned a Manor House worthy of their status. Although such a house no longer exists, we can be confident that the ancient mansion of the De Pupplepens would have stood on the site of the nearby ‘Moats’. A thorough examination of the site has shown that the shape and area contained by the moat conforms closely to many known examples. Many moated sites were built from 1250 to 1350 and were intended to be more of a status symbol than for defence.
GREY ABBEY FARM
Grey Abbey Farm is one of the oldest farms in the Parish. It was part of the endowment of the Grey Friars at Bridgwater whose Friary was founded in 1240 and survived until the Dissolution of the Monasteries. Fields called Great Monkwood and Little Monkwood would tend to confirm this. Popular tradition has connected Grey Abbey farm with the adjacent ‘ Moats’, and the stories of treasure, buried by evicted monks, and of underground passages, were accepted as true.
NORTH PERROTT MANOR
The Manor is Grade II* listed and was designed and built by T.H. Wyatt in 1877 for Henry William Paget Hoskyns in the style of the 16th century. Screen walling enclosing the lawn South East of the house, a stable block and walling enclosing the forecourt North West of the house are all Grade II listed. An attractive Summerhouse 70 metres West of the house, also Grade II listed, was added in 1880. The Manor, which was lived in by Henry William Paget Hoskyns and his wife Mabella Henrietta Georgina, passed to his son Henry William Whitby (Hal) in 1921 on the death of his father. In 1929 Hal married Lilian Emilie Furse. The family moved out in 1939 when Feltonfleet School from Surrey was evacuated to the manor for the duration of the War. The school returned to Surrey in 1945 and Mr Bill Grundy, the former assistant Headmaster from Feltonfleet, founded Perrott Hill School, a boys Preparatory School, in September 1946. In 1960 the manor house and 25 acres became the property of Perrott Hill School. Mr and Mrs Grundy retired in 1970. Since then there have been five Headmasters and under their leadership the school has gone from strength to strength.
THE ANCIENT WILDFLOWER MEADOW AT WHITE VINE FARM - is designated a site of special scientific interest. The Meadow is managed in the traditional manner and has 110 species of plants including seven species of orchid. The small areas of ancient woodland contain many uncommon plants where the Bird’s Nest Orchid, the Greater Butterfly Orchid and Adder’s Tongue Fern can be seen. There are also areas of dense scrub where butterflies such as the Marbled White , Silver-washed Fritillary, Large Skipper, Green Veined White, Hairstreak, Gatekeeper, Common Blue and Tortoiseshell thrive. It is also a breeding ground for Nightingales.
THE PARRETT TRAIL - is a 50 mile long-distance footpath following the valley of the River Parrett from its source in Chedington to its mouth at Steart on Bridgewater Bay. It follows the River Parrett winding through the Somerset Levels, moors, ecologically sensitive areas and some of England’s richest pasture land where there is an abundance of history and wildlife. It passes through the village of North Perrott.
Click here for The River Parrett Trail website.
THE LIBERTY TRAIL - is a 28 mile long-distance footpath which follows the journey of the Volunteers from Somerset and Dorset who walked to Lyme Regis in 1685 to show their support for the Monmouth Rebellion. It starts at Ham Hill, one of the largest Iron Age Hill Forts in Europe. The route passes through the Parish of North Perrott and through or near many interesting sites including the former Cistercian Monastery at Forde Abbey. It ends at the attractive seaside town of Lyme Regis with its famous harbour.
Click here for The Liberty Trail website.
THE MONARCH’S WAY - is a 615 mile long-distance footpath that approximates the escape route taken by King Charles II in 1657 after being defeated in the Battle of Worcester. It passes through Yeovil, Trent, Montacute, and joins the River Parrett in our Parish before heading to Bridport and finally to Brighton where Charles escaped by boat to France remaining there for nine years.
Click here for The Monarch's Way website.
THE NORTH PERROTT FRUIT FARM - was founded in 1930 by Henry William Whitby Hoskyns (Hal) and now run by his grandson Jonathan Hoskyns and his wife Anwen. Many varieties of cooking and dessert apples are grown on the farm as well as pears and some plums. Parrett Brand Apple Juice, of which there are 22 varieties, is pressed and bottled on the farm and sold in the North Perrott Farm Shop and locally in Shops and Restaurants. A weekend every year during October is devoted to ‘Apple Day’ when different varieties of apples can be sampled and trailer rides take people around the Fruit Farm.
Click here for the Fruit Farm website.