For information on each location click on the numbers on the map or scroll down.
Click on the images to enlarge
ST MARTIN’S CHURCH is Grade 1 listed and dates from the 12th century. The current church which is near the River Parrett was built on the site of an earlier church in the 16th century probably by Henry Daubeney 1st Earl of Bridgewater. The tower dates from the 12th century and contains six bells. The oldest was cast in 1786 by George Davis of Bridgwater. Four others were made by members of the Bilbie family of Chew Magna in 1803. The sixth was cast by LLewellins and James of Bristol in 1904. In the churchyard there are some interesting chest tombs and monuments. The chest tomb on the right entering the churchyard has a small lid cut out of the top. This reveals a shallow compartment where coins were placed. In olden times, tramps walking across country to Crewkerne would help themselves to this welcome ‘perk’! Opposite the lychgate is the enclosure where the Common Pound was situated. This was where stray animals were herded.
THE NURSERY GARDENS occupy the old walled gardens of the original North Perrott House, a mansion built by Henry William Hoskins of Haselbury in 1782 and situated at the south east end of the present cricket ground. It was demolished prior to the building of North Perrott Manor (now Perrott Hill School) in 1878.
THE OLD RECTORY is Grade 2 listed. A Parsonage stood on this site in 1603. It is the only Georgian style building in the village having been rebuilt in the 18th century after a fire destroyed a much earlier building. It may have been built around the time that William Hoskins of Haselbury built a mansion in the village (North Perrott House) in 1782. He acquired the Manorial Rights and Living in 1790. He handed the Gift of the Living to his son, Henry William, who had seven children, and was Rector of North Perrott from 1814 to his death in 1876. It is known that he lived in the Rectory. Charles Thomas Hoskins became Rector from 1876 to 1908. It ceased being a Rectory in 1953 when the livings of North Perrott and Haselbury Plucknett were amalgamated.
CROSS TREE COTTAGE is Grade 2 listed and was the Dower House lived in by Mabella Henrietta Georgina Hoskyns after the death of her husband Henry William Paget Hoskyns in 1921 when she moved from the Manor to make way for her son Henry William Whitby Hoskyns (Hal) on his marriage to Lilian Emilie Furse.
GREEN BARTON is believed to have been a Tithe Barn in the 14th century but later became the Manor Estate Yard where stonemasons, bricklayers and carpenters worked. Within living memory a steam driven saw and a timber wagon built on the base of a WW1 gun carriage were in use. A pony and cart were kept in the yard which transported estate workers daily to outlying farms to carry out maintenance work.
THE VILLAGE GREEN - The Manor Arms sign shows the Hoskyns crest and family motto:- ‘Finem Respice’. It stands next to the old trough at which the drovers would water their animals when passing through the village. Nearby is the War Memorial listing the names of those from the village who gave their lives in WW1. On the rise of the Green can be seen the base of a 14th century Christian stone cross which is Grade 2 listed. The large adjacent rock with a shallow bowl- like feature on its top has a grisly tale to tell. Anyone caught stealing was forced to rest their hand over the bowl and suffer a finger being chopped off. As late as the 1800’s it is known that the
great, great grandfather of a current resident of North Perrott who stole a lamb, underwent such a punishment together with a fine of 6p. Village stocks used to be positioned on the Green providing another punishment for those breaking the law.