St Martin's Church

North Perrott, Somerset

st-martins-church-om

The North Perrott Heritage Trail

For information on each location click on the numbers on the map or scroll down.

Key to places numbered on the map

Click on the images to enlarge

EAST STREET

16.

SYMES FARMHOUSE is Grade 2 listed and was built in the 17th century. It was modified in the 18th century. Within the grounds can be seen the OLD GRANARY which was constructed in the 19th century and is listed as of special architectural interest. It is built of red brick in Flemish Bond. The roof is hipped Welsh slate and the building is set on seven staddlestones. The bricks may well have come from Haselbury where bricks were manufactured in what is still called the Brickyard.

 

 

16HT a n, Symes Farmhouse (Small)

17.

BUCKLAND COTTAGE has two small blocked ‘windows’ or ‘niches’ on the outer wall of the building visible from the road. In olden times it is said that people with businesses were often given the privilege of being permitted to keep a hive of bees. The ‘niches’ which then had no stone backing, allowed the bees to enter into a space in the wall of the house. This space was accessible from the inside of the house by opening cupboard doors in the wall. One such hive was actually discovered in the attic whilst investigating a chimney fire in Buckland Cottage during the summer months of 1970. A large number of dead bees were found on the road underneath the ‘niches’. On removing the paper on the attic wall, two cupboard doors were found behind the ‘niches’ revealing a large quantity of beeswax. The Hive had still been active in spite of having been blocked up as the bees had found their way in through tiny holes in the hamstone. (The Old Forge No.9, also has ‘niches’).

 

 

17HT a n Buckland Cottage (Small)

18.

PEEL HOUSE (formally called The Cottage) is Grade 2 listed and was built in the 18th century. It became The Estate Office when the Estate Steward, Godfrey Raper, moved from The Manor Farm to Peel House in 1939. It remained the Estate Office for a number of years.

19.

THE HOSKYNS MEMORIAL HALL – The Village Hall was built for the benefit of the villagers of North Perrott in 1924 by Mabella Henrietta Georgina Hoskyns in memory and by request of her husband Henry William Paget Hoskyns who died in 1921. Paget was responsible for building North Perrott Manor (now Perrott Hill School) in 1878.

NEW STREET

NP18.1, The Hoskyns MemoriaL Hall (Mobile)

20.

WAYSIDE – In the early 20th century this was part of Frenchay’s Holding. A butcher who owned Moultons Farm in Common Lane lived at No. 31, and Wayside, now a bungalow, was then a slaughterhouse where cows, pigs, sheep and calves from the Farm were killed. Before the houses in Back Lane were built the holding included a field stretching behind the house across the road to the far side of Back Lane. He didn’t have a shop but used to deliver meat around the village in a high box trap. The butcher’s business closed in 1925.

21.

DAIRY COTTAGE is Grade 2 listed and was built in the early 19th century. The Manor Farm Dairy, then situated directly behind the cottage, supplied most of the milk for the villagers. This was fetched in milk cans and measured by the cowman’s wives with a long handled dip measure from a 17 gallon churn. From 1948 the Manor Farm Dairy delivered their own milk around the village in milk bottles branded in black letters ‘North Perrott Estate Company’.

22HT a n, The Manor Lodge

22.

THE MANOR LODGE AND HAMSTONE PILLARS were built in 1877 to the design of T.H. Wyatt in the style of the 16th century. The pillars are Grade 2 listed. This was the entrance to the drive of North Perrott Manor (now Perrott Hill School) also designed by T.H. Wyatt in 1877. The pillars are listed as of special architectural interest.

Map Points 1-6 Map Points 7-15 Map Points 16-22 Map Points 23-29 north-perrott-heritage-trail-map940

The North Perrott Heritage Trail

For information on each location click on the numbers on the map or scroll down.

19HT Peel House (The Cottage) (Small) Church Quiz