St Martin's Church

North Perrott, Somerset

st-martins-church-om

The North Perrott Heritage Trail

For information on each location click on the numbers on the map or scroll down.

Key to places numbered on the map

Click on the images to enlarge

7.

DOWNCLOSE LANE

7HT Bowling Green (Small)

BOWLING GREEN – On a roadside bank immediately before the right hand turning to a group of cottages known as Bowling Green Cottages, there was once a Rope Walk. The growing of flax in the 18th century was the basis of a flourishing industry in North Perrott. The flax was turned into fibre and then woven into string. This was spun by a hand turned machine into rope by a process known as ‘balling’. The newly made rope was ‘walked’ along the Rope Walk as it was spun. ‘Bowling’ is probably a corruption of ‘Balling’.

 

8.

THE OLD BAKERY is Grade 2 listed and is recorded as having been built in the 17th century although it is possible that bread was baked here at an earlier date for Grey Abbey Farm which was part of the endowment of the Grey Friars at Bridgwater founded in 1240. In the 17th century the three cottages were owned by the Gear family and housed the bakery, a shop and a dwelling. The shop closed in 1912 when the bread was delivered around the village and other places by horse drawn bread vans. The bakery continued until 1956.

 

8HT Old Bakery (Small)

9.

THE OLD FORGE is Grade 2 listed and was built in the 17th century. This was where most of the working horses and ponies were shod and all the ironwork was made and repaired for the Estate Yard and for the farm implements. The Forge closed in 1936 when tractors were coming into use. An interesting feature are two hamstone ‘niches’ which can be seen on the outside wall of the house. (read more about them under No.17 - Buckland Cottage).

 

 

9HTn  Old Forge

MIDDLE STREET

10.

TEACHER’S COTTAGE is Grade 2 listed and was built in 1846. It was lived in by the head teacher of the school next door.

10HTn Teacher's Cottage (Small)

11.

THE OLD SCHOOLHOUSE (St. Martin’s School) was among the earliest of Church of England schools built by Henry William Hoskins in 1846 prior to the Education Act of 1871. Before this date education had been a voluntary matter mainly in the care of the church. When it closed in 1965 there were only 14 pupils.

11HT n School House

12.

THE OLD COURT HOUSE is Grade 2 listed and was built in the 16th century. It originally consisted of three cottages Nos. 16, 17 and 18. Offences such as failing to keep the village stocks and fences in good repair, breaking into the Common Pound, selling poor quality ale and not burying their dead in woollen shrouds would have been heard and sentenced. At the Court held in 1683 it was reported that the common prison house was in disrepair and that the Lord of the Manor should repair it. In 1691 William Thomas, woodworker, trespassed his neighbour’s boundary and felled trees. He was fined 6p. In 1700 William Bragg and Walter Sealy were fined 20 shillings, the customary fine for depasturing more than their due and exceeding the fixed number of sheep on the common fields and pastures and roadside wastes.

12HT n Old Court House

13.

THE MANOR ARMS INN is Grade 2 listed and was built in the 17th century with modifications in the 19th century. The original Inn sign was hung on the wall of the Inn until 1956. At the advent of much higher and broader cattle lorries and vans, it was moved to a safer site on the Village Green to avoid damage. The Inn sign bears the Hoskyns crest and family motto:- ‘Finem Respice’ which means ‘Toward the end’. You can still enjoy a pint and a meal when passing through the village.

13HT a n Manor Arms 1

14.

THE OLD ALEHOUSE  A headpiece once hung over the door of No 23 indicating it was the site of a beerhouse or alehouse with a landlord called Mr Slade. It is curious as to why an Alehouse should  set up shop so close to a village pub but historians have suggested  that, with the Beerhouse Act of 1830 designed to wean the English off gin, householders could apply for a license to sell beer, ale, porter, cider and perry without having to apply for the full license under the Act. As these alehouses were relatively cheap to set up and profitable to run the local pub landlords often turned local houses into drinking rooms for their customers.

14HTn Ale House

15.

THE OLD POST OFFICE was opened in 1897 as a Telegraph and Telegram Office only. In 1918 it became a Post Office and remained so until 1995 when it closed. It also housed a village shop.

15HT The Old Post Office (Small) Map Points 1-6 Map Points 7-15 Map Points 16-22 Map Points 23-29 north-perrott-heritage-trail-map940

The North Perrott Heritage Trail

For information on each location click on the numbers on the map or scroll down.